Anti-Racism Documentaries & Discussion Series
God calls us to seek justice and liberation for all of God’s children and all of creation. Recognizing we have work to do in responding to this call, this fall, all are invited to learn more about how racial injustice and systemic racism is operative in the world today, so that we can take informed next steps to help dismantle racism and nurture the racial justice God desires.
Pastor Kendra will host discussions of the following documentaries (and local connections to the topics explored) on the dates listed:
- Thursday, October 1, 2020, 7pm
- Discussion of 13TH, by Netflix, director Ava DuVernay’s examination of the U.S. prison system looks at how the country’s history of racial inequality drives the high rate of incarceration in America, available on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krfcq5pF8u8, approximately 1 hours 40 minutes
- Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 7pm
- Discussion of Jim Crow of the North, TPT Original, on Redlining in Minneapolis, available on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWQfDbbQv9E&feature=youtu.be, approximately 1 hour
- Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 7pm
- Discussion of Flint: The Poisoning of an American City, funded by Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (PDA), explores the critical question of how 100,000 people in the USA could be poisoned by their own state, approximately 1 hr 25 minutes, available on Amazon Prime Video.
Plan to view the films before the discussion dates, and join us on Zoom via computer, tablet, or smart phone at this link: https://bit.ly/3fTjZgr
Contact Pastor Kendra with questions!